By Jessica Russo
Yes! You're finally crossing Egypt off your bucket list. You know where to go, you know what to see, but what do you eat? Have no fear! We are here to share with you our favorite Egyptian dishes - and where to eat them.
Photo by Instagram user @carlo.capalozza
In Cairo, you'll find this dish everywhere. Packed with savory and spicy flavors, koshary (kushari) is made of rice, pasta, chickpeas, and lentils, topped with zesty tomato sauce, crispy fried onions, and garlic vinegar. Whether you grab some from a street cart or sit down at a nice restaurant, koshary is always a good choice.
Photo by Instagram user @karine_jingozian
Simply called "ful" by locals, this dish is a delicious medley of fava beans, vegetables, chili pepper, lemon, garlic, cumin, and other spices. This staple food is eaten for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!
Photo by Instagram user @kazouzaegypt
Egyptians usually describe fiteer as "Egyptian pizza" to tourists. While it's not usually topped with sauce and cheese, this round stone-fired bread is made of layers of filo dough and butter - very low-cal. Ranging from sweet to savory, fiteer is stuffed with all sorts of meats, veggies, and sauces, so be sure to try more than one!
Photo by Instagram user @eatkochieat
Originally made of lamb, shawarma can be chicken, turkey, beef, or veal. Usually served in a cone-shaped pita, this perfectly-spiced thinly-cut meat is topped with all sorts of veggies and sauces. The perfect street food for a lunch on the go!
Photo by Instagram user @veryspecialfoods
Who doesn't love stuffed grape leaves?! Filled with beef, rice, lemon, and zesty spices, these little bundles of joy are the perfect meal or side dish. While you may have had Greek "dolmades," the Egyptian version differs slightly, in that there's usually a hint of cinnamon in there!
Our favorite places to eat:
- Koshary Abou Tarek Champollion Rd, Marouf, Qasr an Nile, Cairo Governorate, Egypt Phone: +20 2 25775935
- Fasahet Somaya 59 Al Falki, Bab Al Louq, Abdeen, Cairo Governorate, Egypt Phone: +20 100 847 0614
- Esplanade Cafe Restaurant Omar Ibn El-Khattab, Masaken Al Mohandesin, Nasr City, Cairo Governorate, Egypt Phone: +20 2 24800100
- Naguib Mahfouz Restaurant and Cafe Al Gamaleyah, Qesm Gamaleyah, Cairo Governorate, Egypt Phone: +20 2 25903788
- Street food at Kebdet El Prince 79 Talaat Harb, Madinet Al Ommal, Imbaba, Giza Governorate, Egypt +20 100 203 0400
- Bab Al Qasr Royal Maxim Palace Kempinski Hotel | First Settlement, New Cairo, Cairo +20 109 711 1151